p@rsons_world of weird and wonderful links...
The Médaille d'Or for Web Site Excellence
Some Lincolnshire-related websites....
These have been selected because of their high quality, specific personal interest or in one or two cases a certain wacky awfulness.
I do not do "reciprocal" linking, but am pleased to learn of sites which might fit.
"Any fool can appreciate mountain scenery. It takes a man of discernment to appreciate the Fens."
[Harry Godwin - pollen analyst - circa 1932]
- Lincolnshire Bird Club Pretty much what it says! Excellent website.
- Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust great reserves across the county.
- The Lincolnshire Naturalists' Union the only amateur Natural History
Society covering the whole of Lincolnshire. Join it now!
Free weekly email newsletter sign up on the site. [I edit it!]
- LoveLincsPlants An exciting partnership between the Lincolnshire Naturalists' Union, Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust,
Sir Joseph Banks Society, The Natural History Museum and Lincoln University, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- Lincolnshire Environmental Awards Lincoln Lindum Rotary Club's unique annual awards scheme.
Remembering Ed Lacy's pithy comments.
- The Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire Protects, preserves and promotes the rich heritage of the county.
- Society for Lincolnshire History and Archaeology has many useful links
to museums and other collections, sites and oganisations.
- The Peasants' Revolt 1381 "Serfs you have been and are; you shall remain in bondage...."
- The Lincolnshire Rising 1470 during Wars of the Roses.
- The Pilgrimage of Grace 1536 one of the worst uprisings of Henry VIII's reign.
- LCC's Libraries and Archives page
- The Parish Library at St Botolph's Church, Boston founded in 1634 on the instructions of Archbishop Laud.
- The late John Ketteringham's unique Lincolnshire website.
- Lincs to the Past a site that contains hundreds of thousands of records covering
items held in Lincolnshire's Historic Environment Record, Archives, Libraries, Museums
and Tennyson Research Centre.
- Images of Lincolnshire a superb site by Paul Fenwick.
- GENUKI's introduction to Lincolnshire Lincolnshire archives &c.
Lots for family history researchers.
- The High Tide On The Coast Of Lincolnshire the famous Lincolnshire poem.
- The Mary Gordon Famous Electric Boat.
- BBC Radio Lincolnshire
- Kinema In The Woods unique and wonderful place.
Started life as a sports and entertainment pavilion in the late 19th Century.
- The Broadbent Theatre Wickenby - with an amazing history.
- Alkborough and other British turf mazes Marilyn Clark.
- Shearman's Wath Late Neolithic / Early Bronze Age Henge North of Horncastle
- LIVES Lincolnshire Integrated Voluntary Emergency Service.
- Coastal Grazing Marshes Northern, based on Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR).
- Coastal Grazing Marshes Southern, based on Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR).
and a few "local" pages which may lead on to useful places.....
"Les absents ont toujours tort." Philippe Nericault (1717)
and now, some interesting stuff in no particular order.....
Maps, Places, Geology, Weather....
Apples and Orchards....
- Stamford Community Orchard Group winner of the 2011 Lincolnshire Environmental Awards "Community" section.
- EEAOP a registered charity working to guarantee a future for local orchard fruits and orchards.
- Brogdale Farm home of the National Fruit Collection.
- Orange Pippin collaborating with the Home Orchard Society to build an international database of apple trees!
- Mistletoe grow your own!
Elsewhere in the UK.....
Other interesting stuff....
In the midst of great joy, do not promise anyone anything.
In the midst of great anger, do not answer anyone's letter.
Current Affairs and News....
"A cloud of critics, of compilers, of commentators, darkened the face of learning,
and the decline of genius was soon followed by the corruption of taste."
Gibbon - Decline and Fall, Chapter 1 - on the Antonines.
Service Providers and Useful Software....
Thomas J. Watson Head of IBM - 1945
"I think there is a world market for maybe five Computers"
I have found the following products very useful.
Most of them are free or have free versions.
Please ensure they are compatible with your operating system
and existing software before any downloading and installing!
- mail2web.com Pick Up Your Email from any computer, free, anywhere in the world. No need to register!
- Mailchimp a web-based bulkmail managment system suitable for newsletters free for small mailings.
- Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making
permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.
- Acronis Drive Monitor software application developed by Acronis to
monitor server, workstation and PC hard disk drives.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects and removes all traces of malware. Outstanding.
- Dropbox a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs,
and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
- Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer.
- Moxilla Firefox Free and open-source web browser.
- Apache's Open Office Free alternative to the Evil Empire's software.
- Xenu's Link Sleuth allows Webmasters to check website hyperlinks and it's free!
- DownRightNow monitors the status of your favorite web services.
- Internet Traffic Report monitors the flow of data around the world.
- Digital Attack Map Daily DDoS attacks worldwide.
- Yahoo UK Free Webmail and lots of other stuff.
- WordPress Create a free website or easily build a blog.
- Heart Internet Low cost Web hosting and much more.
I hope you have enjoyed these links and find some of them useful. Suggestions for interesting additions are always welcome...
"How strange is the lot of us mortals!
Each of us is here for a brief sojourn; for what purpose we know not, though sometimes sense it.
But we know from daily life that we exist for other people first of all for whose smiles and well-being our own happiness depends."
Copyright © 2007