p@rsons_world of Honeybees and Beekeeping...
If you are considering keeping bees, you would be well advised to join your local branch of the BBKA,
where you will find unlimited friendly and enthusiastic advice from fellow beekeepers.
Help with Bee Problems
Members of the public who need advice on swarms, etc. should visit the LBKA Swarm page:
» Advice on Swarms. Read it before ringing anyone for help.
If you need to contact a local beekeeper, start with your local Beekeepers' Association.
» Local Beekeeping Associations
Please note that a beekeeper will not usually agree to deal with bees inside a roof or wall.
That is a job for a pest control specialist and possibly a builder.
Beekeepers will not usually be willing to deal with bumblebee nests. Some will.
Bumblebees are not usually a problem and colonies die off naturally at the end of the summer.
» Introducing the 'Tree Bumblebee' Bombus hypnorum by Cliff Hill.
Should you have genuine trouble with feral honeybees, bumblebees or wasps, contact a professional pest control company. e.g.
» The National Pest Technicians website. Click on your region. Also, see the Lincoln link at bottom of this page.
Old-fashioned though it may seem, a thank you is always appreciated.
The Lincolnshire Beekeepers' Association
Lincolnshire Show 2017
Come along to the LBKA Tent at the Lincolnshire Show.
21st and 22nd June 2017.
» Lincolnshire Show
For the 2017 LBKA Show Schedule and Entry Forms see:
» Refer to LBKA Website which is under development
Horncastle Beekeeping for Beginners Course 2017
The next 10-week course will run from March, 2017.
For further information telephone Mr F W Parker on 01507 523107
For details of other LBKA Beginners Courses visit the LBKA website below.
» Refer to LBKA Website which is under development
Annual Bee Auction 2017
Date - tba April 2017
For details of the Annual Auction Sale of Bees & Equipment visit:
» LBKA Lincoln District Annual Auction.
» Also - refer to LBKA Website which is under development
Lincolnshire-bred British Dark Beese-mail: Contact Tobias Downes
Facebook: Billinghay Bees
Message from Tobias Downes - 2017
I have British Dark Bees, and supply 14x12 or National 6 frame nucs, and queens.
14x12 are £200, National nukes are £150, and a queen is £35 and marked but not clipped.
Contact me to discuss when the first batch of 2017 queens should be ready.
For information on keeping bees, dealing with swarms, prevention of spray accidents, diagnosis and treatment
of bee diseases and the supply of beekeeping equipment &c. the following links may be useful:
Deadlines are as follows:
» 20th March - April edition
» 20th June - July edition
» 20th September - October edition
» 20th December - January edition
|Queen-marking Colour Codes|
» 2014, 2019 = Green
» 2015, 2020 = Blue
» 2016, 2021 = White
» 2017, 2022 = Yellow
» 2018, 2023 = Red
- The Lincolnshire Beekeepers' Association has local branches in Boston, Grantham,
Grimsby, Horncastle, Lincoln, Louth, Market Rasen, Sleaford, North Lincolnshire and Wragby.
- Refer to LBKA Website which is under development
- Regional Bee Inspector: See: NBU Contacts page on the NBU website.
- Note: Some time back I retired as editor of the
LBKA Quarterly Review and as
County Spray Liaison Officer.
This web information is just my way of being helpful.
It is not an official LBKA arrangement.
- For Spray Liaison local contacts - telephone Mr F W Parker, County Spray Liaison Officer on 01507 523107
Please allow for time to get in touch!
A beekeeper needs at least 24 hours notice to shut in the bees! 48 hours is better.
It has to be done the night before spraying is planned.
- e-mail: Quarterly Review Editor
Phil Raines, QR Editor, Grange Cottage, 21 Humberston Avenue, Humberston, Grimsby, NE Lincs DN36 4SL
- Thorne Beekeeping Supplies (UK) - is one of the world's foremost beekeeping suppliers.
- Richard Watson Frow MBE - died Nov. 29th 1973
Alan Campion's essay on the Lincolnshire Beekeeper whose "Frow Mixture" recipe,
so generously given to all beekeepers at no benefit to himself, turned
the tide of "Isle of Wight" disease, now known as Acarine disease.
There is an unique archive of Frow's Books and other reference material
formerly held by the Library of the Riseholme [Lincoln] campus of De
Montfort University and now in the care of Thorne Beekeeping Supplies (UK) at Rand.
Other really useful contacts...
- Northern Bee Books - claim to have the largest stock of new and second hand apicultural books in the English speaking world.
- NBS - Comprehensive beekeeping suppliers.
- Sherriff International - The ultimate Bee-suit people!
- Lancashire Honey [was Northwest Bees] All sorts of useful Bee things.
- Fragile Planet No longer doing hives from recycled materials. They now concentrate on bees and queens.
- The Bumblebee Conservation Trust - for information on Bumblebees, including information about the Tree Bumblebee.
- BWARS - Bees, Wasps & Ants Recording Society - the scientists identifying and mapping our Bees, Wasps and Ants. [Problem loading page sometimes.]
Bees down your chimney?
If all else fails contact Lincoln & District Pest Control Services who specialise in such problems.
Lincoln & District Pest Control Services
Telephone: 01522 790583.
The National Pest Technicians website and click on your region.
Copyright © 2009